Popular Posts

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Day 5: Fullmetal Alchemist

Anime You Are "Ashamed" You Enjoyed- Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) a.k.a. FMA


I am not actually ashamed that I enjoyed the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime. The part that I typically don't broadcast however is that I prefer it to Brotherhood. *waits for the angry mob to settle down* I understand that many people love Brotherhood for the fact that it follows the manga better. But as I have mentioned in a post before, I don't mind if the anime doesn't follow the manga. As is what happened with the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist, the anime of an on-going manga will often at some point reach a time when they are out of material, especially when the manga is a monthly. In the case with FMA, the creator of the manga, Hiromu Arakawa gave the anime a green-light to continue past the material that had been written and make their own story. It really shouldn't have been such a big deal that it didn't follow the manga because at the time that part of the manga didn't exist. Brotherhood only ever came about because people wanted the manga's ending instead.



DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT WATCH BROTHERHOOD BEFORE THE ORIGINAL.

Brotherhood glosses over many essential parts of the story that Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) had already covered because it was created with the assumption that the people watching Brotherhood had already seen the original show. If you really don't want to watch the entirety of FMA because you are a manga "purist" then watch about 9 episodes at least before switching to brotherhood. You get a much better background for parts of the story that Brotherhood only briefly mentions. There are people out there that will try to tell you to only watch Brotherhood or to watch it first but I promise you that the first part of FMA is worth it even to people who want their anime to be exactly like the manga and is much better if seen prior to watching Brotherhood.

It's an anime near and dear to my heart, and my favorite adventure anime. In my book, it's a 9/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment